Founded in 1923 as a nine-hole course, it has undergone a number of changes and now features 18 holes and measures 6,100 yards off the back tees. The course is set in undulating parkland. At first sight it seems a relatively easy test of golf, but with narrow fairways and small, undulating greens there are many scorecards that tell a different story. With five testing par-3s, four of them over 180 yards from the back tees, they represent a true test of golf for all standards of player.
The course is par 70 for men and, at 5,527 yards, par 72 for ladies, providing a fair and enjoyable test for any level of golfer. The superb drainage makes this a truly year-round course, providing a good venue for winter visitors and societies.
With a recently constructed reservoir ensuring irrigation of the course is not a problem at any time of the year, the Club is well equipped to cope with most weather conditions.
Over the last few years, the Club has been working on a bunker improvement project to ensure that all the bunkers on the course are free-draining, and consistent in design and quality of sand. This project is undertaken over the winter months, on a few holes each year, with the intention to be finished prior to the Club's centenary in 2023.